2.28.2006

Composition

In my continued thoughts about composition I can not help but wonder why (I/we) continually search out the knowledge of other: as opposed to developing confidence in our own ability’s. I have recently read to great books on photography: Understanding Digital Photography: Techniques for Getting Great Pictures & Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera

I recommend both books: they have a great simple focus on understanding the basics of seeing. Why read about seeing? Why can we not see, live, developed, study our own works? I have written in this blog before about putting down the camera and developing our own practice.

After 16+years of professional photography I still come back to basic. The haunting question is why do I need or search out someone else knowledge? Ok, ok, I believe in being the constant student – never getting to the mountain top – the journey is the destinations. When do I become the teacher? I have been sought out by some for my knowledge but I have not felt confident in preaching to choir.

Today my practice will be seeing through a child eyes: not having to worry about my past knowledge – a clean slate