7.03.2012

Provenance & Legacy of a Photographed


Where will your photos end up?

The first thing that the caveman did was to decorate their cave walls (see Lascaux Caves).  Our surroundings have great importance to us. From the first time we walked out of the land into our cave-dwellings-suburbs our walls became the surface for our imagery: to display the things that matters.

When I look at a photo I do not want it to leave me cold.  I want it to have a profound effect on me, to change my attitude. What more could I possibly ask out of a photo?

Many have made claims and theories as to the meaning of art but what more could you ask of an individual response than it created a feeling.

It's my intention to create photos that are a “seeing cure”.  Photographs that may recover the sensation and experience of life.

I think about this a lot. I think about the fact that the photos we take at a wedding today will be displayed at the wedding of their future great-grandchildren.  The photo pictured above is a standard display at the majority of weddings.  I have started to call this table the “Photo-Legacy Table”.  It is a grouping of past generations that has brought us all to the celebration of today.  Families gather around this table and stop and give pause to who came before them.  They go on to tell stories and laugh and cry at the memories.  This is a seeing cure, I think to myself every time.

A photograph gives you “provenance”...a history of your family's journey and a feeling of what is to come.

Art pre-dates the idea of currency as monitory worth. Simply put, art has been much more valuable for a much longer time than the dollar.  Dollars we exchange, art gives us legacy.

A photograph shows us society, beauty, authenticity and when it's done right a photo gives us fruitfulness, joy and it is the essential intrinsic value of life...the provenance of our legacy.

That's value that currency can not buy. We know what things cost but we have no idea what they are worth.

A photograph is a treasure….