3.26.2012

The Examined Life

Socrates said, “The unexamined life is not worthy of living.” Not sure I agree with that, however taking notes as you stumble through life is a good thing.

Thoreau’s “Walden” is one of those books that has stuck with me, as it has done for many. The transcendentalist, Thoreau, writing down his daily thoughts on life.  Musings on simple living…readable, interesting…..could I do this?

I have journaled throughout most of my adult life. I have been a dedicated journeyer for the past seven years. Writing down notes, rants, idea, dreams, short stories, daily life and general whatnot's and chronicles of living with NMO.  I got a daughter. I got a disease. I got a habit of writing it down. 

Today I start a new journal. With its clean white pages...it will start with a topic that has been absent throughout these past years...it will start with an entry on my good health.

The first thing I do when I complete a journal is to re-read all that I have written during the past year (it takes me on average a year to fill a journal, give or take).  After completely re-reading and realizing that my spelling, grammar and handwriting have sunk to a level so low that I will be sure to have a burn request upon my death so that my daughter does not know just how bad I was at the most elementary of skills.  She can read the blog which is edited by my wife (somebody has to spell the big words and the bulk of the midsize words). 

After re-reading, I highlight the passages that resonate with me; the stuff I feel that should not be forgotten.  The stuff that I want to be passed down. The exemplary stuff. 

I have done this for the past six consecutive journals. I re-write and add my reflections on these lessons and ideas that I wish to stay present in my thoughts and daily life.

It is the development and the transition on the man I wish to be.

To be authentic.  To be significant. To live simple, purposeful and with rhythm.