8.17.2009

How I got my PhD in the “How-To-Business” of Photography

***New series every Monday for the next 5 weeks*** Part 5 of 5
read part 1, 2, 3 & 4 (HERE)


Love and a mortgage is a good motivator to get your act together. Love and a mortgage and a soon to be wife who also has a budding career in photography is a great foundation to build your life upon.

Insanely useful photography tip #7: Passion, effort and love for what you do will take you far.

As I write this it has been 5 years that Elizabeth, my wife, and I have been in business running our own successful photography company. People always ask us the “how” of HOW TO EVERYTHING: Photography. What’s to follow is the last two decades of life experiences that Elizabeth and I have had. We built our business on a culture of sharing, good composition and great service.

Insanely useful photography tip #8: Prove that you are committed, you can’t fake this don’t even try.

Insanely useful photography tip #9: Be you. That’s it, be transparent.

Insanely useful photography tip #10: You can’t win by mimicking someone else.

My PhD in the “how-to-business” of photography is an alternative thinking program. I make the assumptions that you have passion and effort and that you have a respect for learning how to use your tools correctly. There are many different reason why some make it on their own and some do not. Most do not – not because of a lack of effort or purpose but because of a lack of personal guidance from a genuine mentor and someone to talk openly with.

Am I a small-biz coach, strategist or innovator? Nope. I am a working artist who understands how and where art meets commerce.


If you like this article please be sure to pass it on…friend me on Facebook, connect with me on Twitter and info on private consultations can be found here on Photographer's Corner.