10.14.2008

Music, Mind & Mosquito Food

Sat outside today at lunch reading a book about how music and the mind work. It is most likely the last time this year that I will get to sit outside and read. I love Indian Summer in Pittsburgh. This is probably the tenth book I have read about music and mind connection. It’s a topic that I wonder why I even read about? Music is a beautiful mystery within itself. Why pursue the answer? The world has already lost enough mystery.

Why do humans create art? Because we cannot stop it from happening. This is what separates us from the rest of earth’s inhabitants. All life can do what we do, which is to survive. Gary Snyder wrote something to the extent that said, “humans were created to entertain the rest of nature”. Speaking solely as mosquito food: that seems to make sense.