6.10.2008

Ambient Design (Therapy?)


Continuing with my year of all-things-ambient I discovered how important ambient is.


During my recovery from surgery, I was given a lesson on how significant my ambient surroundings are. After day five of laying in bed, my bedroom became a place of noise instead of a place of healing. The room has no feel, flow or vibe to it. It is the only room in the house that has not been designed around an ambient-minimalist theme. The room lacks purpose. In the rest of the home everything has a layout with an ambient design for function and flow.

To define the ambient-minimalist design would be to: First, think about the natural light then artificial light. Second, think about the color of the walls and the art displayed on the walls. Third, think about furniture that fits the space you placed it in. The last and most fundamental of ambient-minimalist design is if you see “it”, the “it” has a purpose.

Lying in bed I found myself daydreaming of these open spaces. Music, art, natural light, airflow, and plants all gave me feelings of calm. Having a home rooted with ambient principles aided my healing. I realize how a little time spent in those ambient spaces opened up my breathing (mentally & physically) along with my mind and heart.