3.01.2007

Update 3/1/07 + Time Off

I will be taking a break from blogging for the next couple of days. I will be going to New York for an Aperture seminar and to celebrate my wedding anniversary. (Everybody sing – “Happy anniversary baby I got you on my mind”)

On that same note I recently started reading/studying the new book by Vincent Versace entitled Welcome to Oz: A Cinematic Approach to Digital Still Photography. The book has a strong focus on workflow, composition and Photoshop. Photoshop is a tool that I try to use sparingly. If you are a reader of this blog you know that my photography philosophy is “in camera first or not at all”. Yes, I bow down to the greatness of Photoshop and all the wonderments of the digital darkroom, nevertheless, photography is found in the light, not in the computer.

Lastly, Vincent Versace has a great introduction to his book where he describes the difference between a photographer and an artist. (Paraphrasing) “An artist is a title given to you by others, a photographer has a skill”. On that same point, do not call yourself a philosopher, artist or a prophet if you want to be taken seriously. They are all titles given to you, not self-imposed labels.

Additional sub-topic for a latter time: A photograph is not a photograph until it is a tangible print in your hand. An image is only a digital image when displayed on the computer.

See you next Wednesday; be good to each other, thanks for reading this blog.

Peace,